The Church should be spiritually strong to be the witness of Christ here in Bangladesh.
To prepare people to serve the Church to keeping them spiritually awake and to witness Christ.
St. Andrew’s Theological College
St. Andrew’s Theological College, the theological training center of the Church of Bangladesh, was initially founded in 1976. The name was given in honor of a small theological college which established at St. Andrew’s Mission, Haluaghat in the 1930’s.
At first, St. Andrew’s was started with students who did not have enough academic qualification and attended Bishop’s College in Kolkata. Most of the first batch students are now potential presbyters of the church. This was a residential course but gradually expanded to include a non-residential course to train catechists and other lay-workers as well as potential priests. Since 1988 St. Andrew’s became a full fledged college and could offer an entirely residential and non-residential course for a Bachelor of Theology degree for the ordained and for the external students of Bangladesh. It also simultaneously started a laymen’s course for development of lay-leadership.
The college gradually outgrew in number and activities in such a way that found the accommodation at St Thomas’ Church in Old Dhaka was too small. So the whole college moved to Mirpur, Dhaka in the year 2000, where it could arrange spacious and better facilities for the internal and external students.
With further development, in 2002 a new One Year Diploma Course on Social Ministry was introduced for to train the Community Development Workers.
Later, in 1988 St. Andrew’s was recognized and registered by the Senate of Seerampore University in India as an External College to teach their curriculum for academic degrees in Bangladesh.
This Centre at Savar is situated about 28 km from Dhaka city. It provides a peaceful and contemplative environment, filled with trees and flowers. It is widely used by the Church of Bangladesh for a variety of official meetings and workshops. It is also used for retreats, meditation, reflection and theological studies by other Christian denominations and organizations.
“Shantidham” at Panihata.
Panihata is a small parish in Haluaghat Deanery. The natural beauty of this village is very charming. This is a very quiet place surrounded by small hills, trees and with a river running through India and Bangladesh. In the midst of the vast quietness and natural beauty of this place, a small Retreat-cum Church Center has been established by the Church of Bangladesh with a hope to bring relief and peace in the minds of people who are thirsty for peace. This centre is named “SHANTIDHAM” – means “Home of Peace”. The center was commissioned on 10 November, 2006.
Rupantor Training and Conference Center, Kushtia
This center is located at the heart of Kushtia town inside the Church campus. The center is in a calm and quiet location and conducive to study and reflection. It is widely used by the Church of Bangladesh for a variety of official meetings, workshops, training sessions and conferences.
Brotherhood and Sisterhood
St. Paul’s Brotherhood, Barisal.
The 100th year of the Oxford Mission was celebrated in 1995. All the English Brothers have died. Brother Francis Panday, a national brother, is now holding the legacy and praying and looking for the possibility to organize a national brotherhood.
Christo Shebika Sangha, Jobarpar, Barisal.
We have a National Sisterhood, called the Christo Shebika Sangha (The Handmaids of Christ), which was started on the 25 January, 1970. They now have 12 sisters.
St. Mary’s Sisterhood, Haluaghat.
In 1930, Sister Eda came to Haluaghat from Barisal with two sisters; one of them was a trained teacher and began the Sisterhood. There are now 4 sisters and 2 novices in the Sisterhood. Sister Mira at present is Superior of the Sisterhood.